Warren RECC is seeking a
Fiber Optic Network Engineer
Warren RECC is seeking a Fiber Optic Network Engineer to design a fiber optic communication system to provide automated redundant capabilities to each of our substations. The position will serve as technical lead during construction of this and future fiber optic projects. Additionally, the position will coordinate all operations of the Warren RECC fiber backbone network. Additionally, the position:
• Provides technical advice and problem solving skills to Warren RECC system managers, supervisors and partners.
• Designs systems and writes specifications for fiber optic communications equipment by working closely with Warren RECC’s purchasing agent in procurement.
• Plans and coordinates integration of existing fiber system design, construction, and operations.
• Evaluates outside plant performance and troubleshoots problems.
• Documents and maintains detailed records of system design, construction, and operations. Coordinates with the GIS department to ensure system maps are updated on a regular and timely basis.
• Improves construction specifications, design standards, and methods, implementing best practices in design and construction for economic efficiency and long-term sustainability.
• Oversees a fiber/plant maintenance program that assures a high level of service reliability for internal and external customers of the fiber and related systems.
• Assures that repair and maintenance of the fiber plant meets the Service Level Agreements and service expectations of the fiber system.
• Bachelor’s degree in information technologies or information systems engineering.
• Preferred: Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering with a focus on communications.
• A minimum of five (5) years of work experience directly related to fiber optic network design, fiber optic system electronics and operations.
• Experience in meeting and working with people at all levels of the organization and broadband partners.
• Experience in managing projects including contract oversight.
• Requires knowledge of the application of fiber optic technology and network infrastructure, outside fiber plant (OSP) rings, and their concepts, practices and procedures.
• Expertise and experience with installing, configuring, and trouble-shooting Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol-based networks.
• Understanding splice loss, reflectance, mode field diameter mismatch, Optical return loss, loss budget, link loss, etc.
• Knowledge/expertise with routing and switching with current technology.
• Must have a general working knowledge of Synchronous Optical Networking (SONET), Passive Optical Network (PON), Active Optical Network, Cisco systems, VOIP.
• Develop/design layouts of fiber optic networks creating splicing documents, specify equipment, construction documents, cost estimates, and Bill of Materials (BOM).
• Must be able to perform complicated tasks, manage multiple projects simultaneously, make routine decisions, problem solve in the field and react under emergency situations.
• Must have knowledge and ability to use diagnostic equipment and to evaluate safety conditions and incorporate safe work practices into all areas of work.
• Must work well with people in a variety of settings including after-hours trouble situations at partner locations.
• Requires knowledge of utility policies, safety rules, and state and local laws pertaining to operation of vehicles and equipment.
• Must be proficient in use of related equipment and must use safe work practices in all areas of work.
• Should be willing to attend courses related to work.
• Must have a valid driver’s license.
• Network, routing, and switching certifications are preferred.
Warren RECC is an equal opportunity provider and employer.